The Central Coast Cities of Newport Beach, Irvine and Costa Mesa are rich in employment opportunities; there are approximately 186,000 jobs in the three city area. If you are Planning on Working in Retirement, statistically speaking, your opportunities are higher here than in most retirement areas.
If you are also seeking a community where you can enjoy a year around active lifestyle, here you have found the perfect climate. Finally, Orange County has excellent hospitals, close to your home. Put it all together and the Central Coast cities of Newport Beach, Irvine and Costa Mesa should be high on your list to relocation communities. But lets talk about employment.
RETIREES CLOCKING IN, NOT OUT. MORE INDEED PLAN TO WORK IN RETIREMENT
As the Baby Boomer generation approaches retirement age, many are not ready to hang up their gloves for good just yet. While many want to fight boredom, some simply enjoy working. Others want to better position themselves financially. According to the 2010 Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey, young Boomers in particular are resigned to the fact that they will be working longer than those who turned 50 some 15 years ago. So that’s the plan, but what did they do? Among current retirees, fewer than 40% report actually working since retiring.
BODY AND MIND: BABY BOOMERS TODAY TUNING BOTH IN RETIREMENT
There is little time to relax in retirement, as today’s Baby Boomers used to living in the fast lane have no plans to slow down. Not only do many of them want to continue working when they retire, they also want to live in communities that foster active lifestyles that stimulate their bodies and brains everyday. From parasailing to rappelling to gourmet cooking classes and botanical gardening – not to mention yoga, biking and kayaking – today’s retirees want to stay busy. – 2010 Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey
- RetirementJobs.comRetirementJobs.com seeks to identify and certify companies that are most-suited and most friendly to workers over age 50 and match them with active, productive, conscientious, mature adults seeking a job or project that matches their lifestyle.
- Indeed.com Job Search EngineJob search engine that allows job seekers to find employment opportunities posted on thousands of company career site and job boards.
- National Senior Living Providers NetworkA premiere online community for jobs, news and information for professionals working in the senior care field. It lists positions for those working in independent living, assisted living, long term care skilled nursing, a nursing home, home health or home care.
- Workforce50.comServes older workers with a full service job board and career site. All jobs are placed by employers specifically interested in staffing from the over-50 workforce.
- Jobs 4.0The leading source of job opportunities for candidates 40 and over. They seek out jobs offered by companies that value diversity of experience, and works only with companies that embrace the unique benefits that a more experienced worker can provide.
- Retired BrainsConnects retiring or retired workers with employers and provides information on charitable organizations and nonprofits looking for senior volunteers.
- Senior Employment ResourcesA job placement service that matches companies with job seekers age 50 and over who live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C.
- Employment Network for Retired Government ExpertsAimed at retired federal, state, and local government employees who choose to remain productive in their professions or fields of expertise.
- Your Encore Inc.Recruits recently-retired and/or highly-experienced experts who are scientists, engineers, product developers, market research experts, quality control and quality assurance experts, medical professionals, and business development managers.
- The Phoenix LinkA not-for-profit group that offers free services for re-careering executives and technologists. Primary focus is connecting experienced executives and technologists with interim and full time management positions.
- BridgestarAdvisory and executive search firm whose Web site lists senior positions in nonprofit organizations. It reports that over the next decade, nonprofit organizations will need to attract 640,000 new “senior leaders,” which is equal to about 2.4 times the number of executives currently working in the nonprofit sector.
- Commongood CareersNonprofit job search firm dedicated to helping today’s most effective social entrepreneurs hire the best talent. Founded by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to job seekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about careers in the social sector.
- Opportunity Knocks.orgThis organization offers job listings in nonprofit organizations. You can search by keyword and other criteria. The positions are not restricted to older workers.
- PrimeCB.comSite designed by www.CareerBuilder.com to serve the needs of 50+ workers seeking to connect with employers who want to tap into the knowledge and skills they offer. It provides help for those looking for part-time, full-time or contract positions. It also has information about job searching, career management and workplace issues.
- Careerjet.comEmployment search engine designed to make the process of finding a job on the Internet easier. It maps a huge selection of job offerings on the Internet in one extensive database by referencing job listings originating from company websites, recruitment agency websites and large specialist recruitment sites.
- National Older Worker Career Center (NOWCC)Nonprofit organization bringing together experienced workers and organizations seeking support, helping to ensure that older workers can continue to contribute their skills and knowledge. Launched with the help of AARP in September 1997, it currently provides employment services for skilled mid-career and older workers interested in environmental project assignments.
- JobsOver50.comFree web-based employment that creates partnerships with schools and alma maters throughout North America. This model delivers a career service edge to schools at no charge (and lifelong career services), a competitive edge to the 50+ job market seekers and high quality results to employers. The company is a member of the GoliathJobs network, the #1 employment service on the Web.
- Green Careers GuideThis web site provides articles and other resources about green jobs to help individuals find jobs in the fast-growing green industry. It also has a search engine to help people locate jobs in various parts of the country.